Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

DIY Pillow With Zipper

I love to sew and I especially love to sew pillows.  Changing up pillows is a quick and easy way to redecorate any room.  I have made many pillows over the years but I have always been afraid to try making a pillow with a zipper.  I've tried looking up tutorials but they always seemed a bit confusing.  I usually make envelope pillows and pillows where I hand sew the pillow closed after adding the insert.  
I finally got up the courage to try my hand at a zipper enclosure pillow after seeing this tutorial from Centsational Girl last week.  Seriously, this tutorial has forever changed my view of sewing a pillow with a zipper.  It's so easy!!
First I cut my fabric to size for my pillow insert.  I love this self-healing cutting mat I got at Wholeport.  It seems to keep the fabric in place much more than any other mat I have ever used before. 
  I use a square when making pillows.   I use a pencil and mark the edges of my pillow on the back side of the fabric.
It's much easier to make straight cuts using a rotary cutter.  I used to try not marking the fabric and just using the rotary cutter with the square, but that never seems to go well.  Usually I end up moving the square just a little bit and messing up the cut.  Much easier to mark it and then use the rotary cutter.  I ultimately made four pillows so the rotary cutter made things go much faster.
I followed the Centsational Girl directions completely. 
After sewing the edge close to the zipper, I also sewed the outside edge of the zipper to make the edges look a little more professional.
In less than twenty minutes from start to finish,  I had completed my pillow.  
Two of the pillows I used on the chairs in our basement family room.
Just look at my zipper enclosure.  So happy with it.  I actually tried to buy the invisible zippers, but JoAnn's didn't have it in the sizes I needed.  These worked just as well.
The other two I made to use on my family room sofa.
Yep - really happy with my new zipper enclosure pillows.  
Can't wait to hear what you think.


-Judy

Pin It


4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love it, Judy! I need to do this, too, for when I make pillows. I think it will be so much easier {and cheaper} to just be able to recover the same pillow forms. I think I did a zipper once, several years ago. I'll have to check out her tutorial and give it another go.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh i love it. I finally started making mine with zippers too. So much easier than I thought. Hugs, Marty

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very pretty Judy! LOVE the fabric!!

NanaDiana said...

Those look great, Judy. Love the fabrics and that is a good tutorial. You know, I can sew just about anything including zippers but I have a really hard time with the invisible ones. AND I have a girl's dress sitting here that needs one replaced. xoDiana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...